Monday, July 26, 2010

I have officially lost my mind...


Because I have decided to finally start on a long planned project, a Hawaiian applique quilt for my bed.  (shout out to Paige from Paper Starfish, whose lovely quilting projects have finally given me the inspiration I needed!)  I have previously made a fall duvet set and a winter duvet set for my bed including dust skirt, duvet cover, pillow shams for standard and european pillows, all without the use of a pattern, yea me!  Our current spring set is a purchased one that will be replaced, eventually.  I have wanted to make something cool for summertime for awhile now and I do believe a Hawaiian quilt would be perfect during the heat, it's just such a overwhelming, scary, freaking massive big project to take on!


Mister Vonkysmeed and I have been to Hawaii several times, and love the place.  We even bought a print of an antique map of Maui during our first anniversary visit that currently hangs over our bed (yes, I know, not a terribly bright idea in earthquake prone So Cal but I do have it on earthquake hooks so hopefully we won't get brained by it some night!).  We have admired from afar the lovely quilts for sale while there, but really couldn't afford the astronomical pricetags.  I have made a smaller lap quilt of 9 squares to use during the holidays that took 2 years to finish, so I certainly can understand why the prices are quite that high (since it's currently packed away with the Christmas decorations unable to post a pic, bummer!)!

First I will need to pick out my designs, I have two lovely books of patterns, Hawaiian Quilting: Instructions and Full-Size Patterns for 20 Blocks by Elizabeth Root and Poakalani Hawaiian Quilt Cushion Patterns & Designs, Vol. 4 by Poakalani & John Serrao provided by Mom-in-Law that I have to pick from.  I am currently debating if I want to make it a true sampler quilt with each square different or choose 2-3 patterns and just use those.  The quilt will be for a queen size bed so I'll need to make it 4 squares x 4 squares with a solid border all around the sides... I think.


For the fabric I want to stay somewhat true to Hawaiian tradition and use solid colored fabric, probably an ecru background with a coffee or cookie dough colored fabric for the pattern to go with the colors in our room.  I want to use good quality cloth for the quilt so will be Kona cotton that I will purchase with some lovely 40% off coupons that come out from Jo-Anns every week, that will definitely help with the cost!  Now to figure out how many yard I really need to get so I can get moving on this!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like it's going to be gorgeous and very special to you. Can't wait to see your progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to see pics of your progess! Good Luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails