Monday, July 11, 2011

Easily pleased


That would be me.  I find it rather sad in a way that at 37 I am so excited to be able to finally ditch our motley collection of tupperware* that was given to us by my Pops in law when Mister Vonkysmeed and I set up housekeeping almost 10 years ago.  The lids had finally begun to crack from use so I decided we needed a nice new set.  Now mind you, I have wanted a new set for quite awhile now.

After doing a lot of research online I settled on the Premier line by Rubbermaid.  The reviews are overwhelmingly positive, and the few complaints I found were for things like the swirly pattern on the containers (which I happen to like), and that the lids recess into the container when put on (I think I can learn how full to fill them after the first spill).  They are microwave, dishwasher, and freezer safe, but best of all they are supposedly stain resistant.  I am also quite happy that they are BPA free, having recently retired our collection on Avent baby bottles I am aware of the dangers of this chemical.  If glass didn't break I'd probably just get glass containers instead of the plastic, but with two little ones around it just seems to be asking for trouble.

Now, just to clarify, our old containers did NOT go straight to a landfill.  First they will traverse through the garage for Mister Vonkysmeed to see if he can use any for storing various nuts, bolts, screws, etc.  After that they will go over to the local thrift shop to do service in another home.  Hopefully once they break they will be recycled to begin life anew, but it's kind of out of my hands by that point!

So far I am loving these new containers, they do everything they promised and look cute to boot.  Best of all my cabinet where they live is no longer a huge mess!  We don't have many yet, but what we do have are stacked up nice and neat.  I plan on getting more, but only as we need them so we can get the sizes that will work best for our needs. 

*I know that's the brand name not the product name, but like Kleenex gets used to describe all facial tissue, around my house tupperware has always been how we refer to food storage containers whether they were made by tupperware or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails